Frequently asked questions





Can I reserve a specific vehicle make or model?

Unfortunately, due to the dynamic nature of BRC vehicle rental fleet, it is not possible to request a specific vehicle make or model.

You can find examples of vehicles available in our fleet by visiting this page

We are unable to guarantee a specific vehicle make or model. Vehicle groups and models may vary by location and may not be available at all locations

Can I drive on a Restricted Licence?

Unfortunately, we don't rent vehicles on a Restricted Licence.


Can I use my overseas drivers' licence?

Yes, however, if your drivers' licence is not printed in English, you will need to arrange for an International Drivers Licence. You must be over 18 years of age to hire a vehicle.

If you are hiring one of our vehicles on an International Licence, we recommend you check out the New Zealand Road Code by visiting https://www.drivingtests.co.nz/roadcode/car/, which offers a free road code quiz. This quiz is a great way to get yourself up to speed with New Zealand road rules.


What are the rules on credit card payments?

The credit card used to secure and pay for the booking needs to be in the name of the main hirer or additional drivers listed on the rental agreement. In any other cases, the booking will be cancelled/declined.


Do we accept Bartercard & Qoin Payments?

Our business accepts Bartercard and Qoin payments, there are specific conditions that apply when using these payment methods:

  1. Eligible Vehicles: payments can be used for all categories of vehicles and trailers.
  2. 50/50: All payments made by Bartercard or Qoin are 50% of the hire, the remaining 50% of the hire can be paid by either cash or card payment.
  3. No Discounts: Please note that no discounts will be applied when using this payment method.
  4. Daily Hire Charges: payment is applicable only for daily hire charges. For other payments such as insurance, mileage, and premium location fees, cash or card payment is required.
  5. Insurance and Bond: Platinum Insurance and Bond charges are mandatory for bookings made with payment.

Do I need to put a deposit on my booking?

We require at least a 50% deposit on all bookings and this must be paid at the time of booking to secure your reservation. If you wish to pay 50% of your hire at the time of booking, please advise our Reservations Team over the phone/email, or add a note on your online booking request. If not informed, we'll assume/process the total amount.


Do you charge a bond for your vehicles?

When securing a reservation with a credit card:

  • We do not charge a bond if the hire is secured or paid for by credit card, and one of the following insurance covers is bought: Silver, Gold & Platinum. If you decide to buy the Bronze insurance cover, a pre-authorisation bond of $250 will be required at the start of your hire.

When securing a reservation with cash, EFTPOS or debit card:

  • If you are unable to provide a credit card, you can secure your reservation by cash, EFTPOS or debit card. You will be required to purchase our Platinum Insurance Cover, and a bond of $250 will apply. This bond can be paid by cash, Eftpos or debit card.
  • If securing a reservation for a SUV and paying by cash, EFTPOS or debit card, you will be required to purchase our Platinum Insurance Cover and a bond of $500 will apply.


What does Excess, Refund and Bond mean?

Excess: The Excess is the amount that will be charged to your credit card in the event of any damage to the vehicle whilst on hire. The amount of the Excess is dependable on which Insurance Option you took and what vehicle you are driving.

Refund: A Refund is the amount credited to you if you cancel your booking within the required time. The refund can take up to 28 days to be credited to your account.

Bond: The Bond is the amount that will be held on your credit card, debit card or cash from the duration of your rental. It can take from 5 to 14 days for the funds to be released. This is also dependent on your banking provider.


Where can I find information about your insurance options?

If you wish to look at our insurance table, please click here.


Do you offer one-way hires?

Yes, we do. It can be arranged from/to branches in Wellington, Christchurch, Hamilton, Tauranga and Auckland. It is important to consider we have a minimum hire period and one-way fee in place.


If I cancel my hire after booking, what are the procedures?

We have a set of principal cancellation rules that apply to our business. Please visit this page for details.

3rd Party Websites Cancellation Policy

  • For 3rd party websites and affiliated websites customers, special Terms and Conditions and Cancellation Policy applies. Please visit their website for more details.

Can I make changes to my booking?

You can make changes to your reservation by calling us on the toll-free number 0800 566 701. If you prefer, you can email us at info@bargainrentals.co.nz with your booking number and the details you would like to change.

What do I need when I collect my vehicle?

When you come to collect your vehicle, you will need a valid full Driver's Licence in English and a Credit Card for payment (credit cardholder must be present).


What are your trading hours?

We are open every day, Monday to Sunday, from 8am to 6pm.


Do you offer after-hours pick-up at your airport locations?

Yes, we offer 24/7 service at our airport locations.


What are your blackouts days?

We are closed on Christmas Day. Anzac day open from 1pm.


Is child seat available for hire?

Yes, you can select it during the booking process or request over the phone - By NZ road rules, children must be secure in an approved child restraint (click here for more info).


Other extras available for hire

  • You can also include to your booking the following accessories:
  • Furniture trolley
  • Furniture tie-down
  • Furniture blanket
  • Large, medium, small ratchet
  • GPS navigation


Can I extend my hire?

Yes, however, this will depend on availability. We cannot guarantee any extension but will do our best to accommodate your request.

Can I change my insurance cover after I have booked?

If your hire has already started, change of insurance is not possible.


What do I do if I have an accident?

If you are in the unfortunate event of an accident with your rental vehicle and a third party, we will ask that you do not admit liability in any circumstance. If you are unsure, always obtain a police report to help our insurance company gauge who was at fault. We also ask you to complete the Accident Form, which can be found in the brochure provided to you at the beginning of the rental. This will prompt you to ask the correct questions and gather the relevant information to make a claim on your behalf.

All accidents must be reported to a Bargain Rental Cars representative the day it happens. You will also have to complete an insurance form with a representative at one of our branches. We do not guarantee to replace the vehicle if you are liable for the accident.


What should I do if the vehicle has a breakdown?

All our vehicles are covered by First Rescue with 24-hour roadside assistance service for any vehicle-related breakdowns. If you need roadside assistance, please call 09 356 2755. Please give them your vehicle registration plate number and provide directions to help them locate you.

IMPORTANT TO NOTE: If the fault is non-mechanical or deemed the driver's fault, a call-out fee of $165 and any other associated costs will be charged to the main hirer of the vehicle. If the call-out is not deemed to be near a main centre, additional charges may be made to cover the costs of Roadside Assistance. 

Mechanical breakdown covered by the First Rescue Roadside Assistance service include but are not limited to:

  • Engine faults
  • Electrical faults
  • Cooling system
  • Vehicle recovery

Non-mechanical breakdowns not covered by the First Rescue Roadside Assistance service include the following but not limited to: 

  • Running out of fuel
  • Refilling the vehicle with the incorrect fuel (i.e. putting diesel in instead of petrol)
  • Damage to wheels and/or tyres
  • Losing the keys or locking them inside the vehicle
  • Having a flat battery due to the ignition or lights being left on
  • A breakdown as a result of damage caused in an accident, including salvage


Can I drive off-road or on the beach?

Do not drive our vehicles off the road or onto any New Zealand beaches. A minimum penalty of $2,000 may apply.


Can I smoke or vape in the car?

For the comfort of all our customers, we encourage no smoking or vaping in our vehicles. A minimum cleaning fee of $100 will be charged.


Can I return my vehicle/trailer early? Will I receive a refund?

You can return your vehicle/trailer earlier than your contract's stated end date/time; however, we will not process a refund for the unused days/hours.


Can I drop off my vehicle at a different location from where I picked it up?

Yes, you can, but you must arrange first with our team and extra charges may apply.


What happens if I’m running late and cannot return my vehicle on time?

If you cannot return your vehicle at the time stated on your contract, a late fee will apply. We advise you to always get in touch with our team to make them aware of it.

Do I need to refuel the vehicle?

You, the customer/hirer is responsible to pay for petrol or diesel used in the vehicle during the hire period. You must refuel the vehicle prior to return, should the vehicle be returned not full, a $50 re-fuelling charge will apply. This is in addition to the actual cost of the fuel required to fill the tank. Furthermore if the wrong fuel is used in the hired vehicle a further $1,200 will be charged. 



If you need to get in touch with us after your rental is completed please reach out to us on 0800 566 701 or email at info@bargainrentals.co.nz.


Keep up to date with specials. Sign up for
our newsletter

In order to assist us in reducing spam, please type the characters you see:


We'd love to hear from you!

In order to assist us in reducing spam, please type the characters you see: