1. Abbey Caves – Who doesn’t like a great cave? Explore this area and you will find three significant caves. Be prepared to get wet and don’t forget your torch. Once inside be prepared to encounter the amazing sight of glow-worms and stalactites on the ceiling.
2. Whangarei Falls – Just a short drive from the city centre, the stunning Whangarei falls will offer you great opportunities for selfies with family and friends. When you arrive you will find yourself at the top of the fall, have a look around and make your way down to the bottom of the fall for more selfies. Also a great place for a picnic.
3. Whangarei Heads – A stunning location for nature lovers. Bring your surfboard to the beautiful white sand Ocean Beach for some fun in the water or find yourself exploring one of a few nature tracks in the area. You will also find a few cafes and restaurants for a nice treat.
4. Whangarei Town Basin – If you want to go for a walk and relax, the Town Basing is a great place with a well-maintained loop track. Also in the area, you will find great places to eat and drink and the Claphams National Clock Museum.
5. Tutukaka Coast – This area is one of the most beautiful when talking about beaches, just to name a few you must check Whale Bay, Matapouri Bay and Sandy Bay. In the area, you will find plenty of places to eat and drink and accommodation. Various nature walks also in the area including the Tane Moana Walkway (Giant Kauri) and Lighthouse Walkway. From here you can also make your way to the famous Poor Knights Islands.